Walking in Kent The Garden of England based in Canterbury
Double / Single
£241 / £302
How does this work?
Start Any Day February to November
Description of Twin/Double
- Most accommodation in Britain is charged on a Per Person basis (rather than per room basis). The price you see here for this tour is the Price per Person.
- If you request a Twin Room there are two single beds (usually 3 feet wide) in the room.
- If you request a Double Room there is one bed in which two people usually sleep (usually 4 feet 6inches wide).
- Both the Double and the the Twin room are sometimes available for Single Occupancy (one person in the room), usually with a supplement to compensate the provider who would normally have received payment from two people.
- If the accommodation offers Single rooms (one bed of 3 feet wide), this will normally be priced higher than half of a double or twin room. Unless space is limited in the village or accommodation we usually avoid these as the rooms tend to be older and less space to move about.
A single centre, self-guided walking tour at Canterbury, Kent in England. 3 nights bed and breakfast accommodation, 2 walking days, walking notes and maps.
Kent is often known as the Garden of England. Here countryside and beauty are linked together. The towns grow from little villages and retain that sense of charm and history. This tour is based at Canterbury long since visited by Pilgrims since the four knights plotted and executed the murder of Thomas Becket in the Cathedral started in 1070 AD. You can discover much more, only time limits you. We have also 2 walks out of the city walls and into the countryside for those requiring to stretch their body as well as mind.
You follow our routes yourself without a guide. We arrange your B&B accommodation and provide you with marked maps and suggested routes. You will stay for 3 nights at the selected guesthouse accommodation in Canterbury giving you a possible 2 full days of discovery. Just let us know the date you would like to arrive (you start walking the next morning). Some of the suggested walks will involve using public transport or a taxi, though it is easy to find an alternative local walk which does not require this.
If you would like to upgrade to hotel accommodation, please ask for a quotation.
Advantages of a Single Centre Tour (staying in one place).
- No need to unpack and pack your bags every day.
- You are not walking because you have to get to the next place that is booked for that day.
- If you feeling tired or not up-to walking - fine take the day off and enjoy where you are.
- You have more time to build up a talking relationship with the guesthouse owners or people staying at the accommodation.
- Handy if you would want to plan to meet up with somebody whilst visiting Britain.
- Normally you are allocated a better room than single-night stay customers.
START and FINISH: Canterbury in Kent which is 50 miles south-east of London.
DAY ONE: Arrival at Canterbury. You may arrive anytime after 3pm. If requiring dinner this is usually between 7pm - 9pm both in restaurants (booked in advance) and pubs. Overnight Canterbury, Kent, England.
DAY TWO: Walking the Pilgrims Way. 8 miles and 600 feet of ascent. The walk today will follow the Pilgrim’s Way out of Canterbury, on to the North Downs. After visiting a pub at lunch you return along the River Stour Walk to Canterbury. Dinner can be taken at any of the restaurants or pubs in the town (not included in tour price). Overnight Canterbury, Kent, England.
DAY THREE: Walking the North Downs Way. 10 miles and 400 feet of ascent. You will follow the North Downs Way southwards out of Canterbury, passing the Cathedral. Your walk goes through apple orchards to Patrixbourne and finds a pub at Littlebourne. The afternoon sees you descend to Fordwich. This was Canterbury's port, one of the important Cinque Ports. The scenery today is rich with wild flowers and landscaped lakes. You now return to Canterbury alongside the river. Dinner can be taken at any of the restaurants or pubs in the town (not included in tour price). Overnight Canterbury, Kent, England.
DAY FOUR: Departure. Departure after breakfast. You may be able to leave your suitcases at the guesthouse and take a half day, looking around the city.
SPECIAL OFFER: TOURS BOOKED TO STAY BETWEEN NOVERBER 1ST and FEBRUARY 1ST will INCLUDE FREE rail travel from and return to London.
RAIL TRAVEL from LONDON to CANTERBURY (NOT included in tour price): The nearest rail station is Canterbury West or East. There are very frequent trains from London (journey time approx. 1.5 hours).
RAIL TRAVEL from CANTERBURY to LONDON (NOT included in tour price): The nearest rail station is Canterbury west or East. There are very frequent trains to London (journey time approx. 1.5 hours).
Tour Start Location
If you want to book this walking tour, or chat about an altered schedule, please get in touch.Enquire now »
Why book with us?
- We've got 30+ years of walking tour experience
- Only the very best handpicked tours at competitive prices
- We work with you to create the perfect holiday. Just ask!
If you can't see exactly what you want and we are unable to adjust our tour shown here - Google may be able to help !
Tours to suit
If you want to book this walking tour, or chat about an altered schedule, please use the 'Enquire Now' tab above or contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Discount rail ticket to and from Canterbury.
GRADE D: Between 8 - 11 miles (13 - 18 kms) a day (the occasional day may be shorter or longer than these depending on location of suitable accommodation). Light Waterproof walking boots are desirable. A strong waterproof Jacket and overtrousers are recommended to protect you from rain and cold winds. No more than 1000 feet ascent and/or descent a day. Footpaths through farmland. You will start walking about 9:30am and finish at approx. 4pm.
These grades are for guidance only. For any grade, depending on weather conditions, it may at times be damp underfoot, so waterproof boots are preferable.