Walking the South Downs Coastal Path based at Eastbourne
Double / Single
£270 / £398
How does this work?
Start Any Day February to November
Description of Twin/Double
- Most accommodation in Britain is charged on a Per Person basis (rather than per room basis). The price you see here for this tour is the Price per Person.
- If you request a Twin Room there are two single beds (usually 3 feet wide) in the room.
- If you request a Double Room there is one bed in which two people usually sleep (usually 4 feet 6inches wide).
- Both the Double and the the Twin room are sometimes available for Single Occupancy (one person in the room), usually with a supplement to compensate the provider who would normally have received payment from two people.
- If the accommodation offers Single rooms (one bed of 3 feet wide), this will normally be priced higher than half of a double or twin room. Unless space is limited in the village or accommodation we usually avoid these as the rooms tend to be older and less space to move about.
A single center, self-guided walking tour of the South Downs Way at Eastbourne in Sussex, England. 3 nights bed and breakfast accommodation, 2 days walking, transport from walk as detailed in walking notes and map.
Discover the delights of an English seaside resort and walk the South Downs Way between Eastbourne and Alfriston. The path traverses those famous landmarks of Beachy Head to the chalk cliffs known as the Seven Sisters. You then head inland to East Dean to find a pub and then head for home. Your second day starts with a taxi (included in tour price) to Alfriston and this time walk back to Eastbourne. This bridleway passes The Long Man of Wilmington and the village of Jevington. You will make use of the notes we will provide you with and we arrange your accommodation on a B&B basis. You will stay for 2 nights at the selected guesthouse accommodation (with private facilities) in the centre of Eastbourne giving you up 2 days of walking. Just let us know the date you would like to arrive.
Advantages of a Single Centre Tour (staying in one place).
- No need to unpack and pack your bags every day.
- You are not walking because you have to get to the next place that is booked for that day.
- If you feeling tired or not up-to walking - fine take the day off and enjoy where you are.
- You have more time to build up a talking relationship with the guesthouse owners or people staying at the accommodation.
- Handy if you would want to plan to meet up with somebody whilst visiting Britain.
- Normally you are allocated a better room than single-night stay customers.
START and FINISH: Eastbourne is 62 miles south of London on the south coast.
DAY ONE: Arrival at Eastbourne. You may arrive anytime after 3pm. There is a choice of pubs and restaurants in the town. Overnight Eastbourne, Sussex, England.
DAY TWO: Walking the coastal path. 11 miles. You will walk the coastal path over Beachy Head to Birling Gap and then inland to East Dean. There is a choice of pubs and restaurants in the town and perhaps you could visit the theatre in the evening. Overnight Eastbourne, Sussex, England.
DAY THREE: Walking the bridleway from Alfriston to Eastbourne. 8 miles. Take the taxi (included in tour price) to Alfriston and walk over the Downs past the Long Man of Wilmington back to Eastbourne. There is a choice of pubs and restaurants in the town. Overnight Eastbourne, Sussex, England.
DAY FOUR: Departure. The tour finishes after breakfast.
RAIL TRAVEL from LONDON to EASTBOURNE (NOT included in tour price): Eastbourne is the nearest railway station. Presently the 16:46pm train from London Victoria arrives Eastbourne at 18:15pm. The next is at 17:16pm which arrives 18:51pm.
The nearest major international airport is London, Gatwick. The local airport is Southampton.
RAIL TRAVEL from EASTBOURNE to LONDON (NOT included in tour price): Eastbourne is the nearest railway station. Presently the 09:00am train from Eastbourne arrives London Victoria at 10:26am. The next is at 09:27am which arrives 10:57am.
Tour Start Location
If you want to book this walking tour, or chat about an altered schedule, please get in touch.Enquire now »
Why book with us?
- We've got 30+ years of walking tour experience
- Only the very best handpicked tours at competitive prices
- We work with you to create the perfect holiday. Just ask!
If you can't see exactly what you want and we are unable to adjust our tour shown here - Google may be able to help !
Tours to suit
If you want to book this walking tour, or chat about an altered schedule, please use the 'Enquire Now' tab above or contact us on email@example.com
Discount rail tickets to and from Eastbourne.
GRADE C: Between 9 - 12 miles (14 - 19kms) a day (the occasional day may be shorter or longer than these depending on location of suitable accommodation). Strong waterproof walking boots are desirable. A strong waterproof Jacket and overtrousers are recommended to protect you from rain and cold winds. This tour goes through some areas of remote habitation, and high mountains. You will do up to 2500 feet of ascent and/or descent a day. You will be walking through Farms and walking on Trackless Moorland. You will start walking about 9:30am and finish at approx. 5pm.
For safety reasons, you must be extremely proficient if you intend to walk alone. We strongly suggest against this. Ask yourself can you walk for hours, in driving rain and low visibility, confident in your map reading skills and morale boosting abilities? A friend in need is almost essential.
These grades are for guidance only. For any grade, depending on weather conditions, it may at times be damp underfoot, so waterproof boots are preferable.